Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I’m sitting on the terrace of the hotel in the middle of Rabat listening to the call to prayer, waiting for the sun to set in order to eat. The weather’s a perfect 75ish and there’s a slight breeze on which I catch the scent of food cooking in the downstairs kitchen. If I crane my neck a bit, I can catch the tiniest bit of view of the ocean butting up to the city. Life’s so hard sometimes.
The trip to the airport yesterday was rather hectic. Getting 58 people onto a bus with each carrying about 4 pieces of luggage, then offloading all of that into the airport was quite a task. The flight was fine, slept some, and so was the bus ride from Casablanca to Rabat.
Morocco, or rather, what I’ve seen of it between here and Casablanca, is brown. The land, the sheep, the dogs, the cows are all the same shade of the earth, with splashes of color popping up in the form of houses (usually white) and litter (mostly plastic of some sort).
We were welcomed at the Peace Corps main office in Rabat and driven to the hotel and fed. I don’t remember much else since I was dead tired.
Today consisted of shots (hep A and rabies), safety and health advice (concentration: diarrhea), and a visit from the US ambassador to Morocco. John Wayne tried to get the hotel staff to join him in a round of ‘if you’re happy and you know it’ but failed miserably without Arabic.
Looks like it’ll rain soon, so I’d best be moeysin’ in right about now.
Oh, note on the cold weather: some of the trainees are on the terrace with me. I’m in a t-shirt and jeans and doing fine, but most of the others find it too cold and are wearing jackets. I hope this bodes well for my bodily being when it does start to really cool off.

No comments: