Sunday, September 7, 2008

End of an Era

I officially leave the US tomorrow.

Today ran pretty much the same as yesterday, only longer and without a plane ride. Orientation in the morning, lunch break with a group of Peace Corps-ees at an organic restaurant called The White Dog, more orientation and logistics for tomorrow’s departure, and dinner near Independence Hall with two of my favorite Corps-ees.

Many of the others are going out on the town tonight for one last American style hootenanny, but I’m currently enjoying the peace and solitude of the hotel suite. I figure this is probably the last time in a loooong time that I’m actually going to be alone. Collectivist culture may be the death of me yet.

Tomorrow at this time I’ll be in Morocco! We fly into Casablanca, bus to Rabat and chill in a hotel there for a few days before moving on to our training site in Azrou, where I’ll be placed with a host family for the duration of my pre-service training (11 weeks). After that, I’ll be sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer and sent to my permanent site, where I’ll live with another host family for 2 months and start working in that community. The long time spent with the two host families is supposed to help integrate me into my town and is also a basic crash course in Moroccan language and culture (none of the host families speak English). This is the aspect of Peace Corps that I’m the most excited about.

That's all for now. I hope Lyndsay has gotten her Peace Corps situation worked out, and my boyfriend is the most amazing man in the universe (I’m under contractual obligation to post that).

Oh yeah, post your address in the comments box or email it to me and I'll send you stuff when I have the time. I'll sen out my address when I get one.

1 comment:

Sarah Ann said...

Hi April,

My name is Sarah and I'm scheduled to leave for Morocco as an Environmental Education volunteer in February. I've been reading these blogs as inspiration for getting through the medical paperwork. I just wanted to ask you...I am leaving a boyfriend behind in the states, and I noticed that you mentioned something about yours. If in fact you are in a similar situation as myself...do you have any advice?